Universities in psychology: France still lagging behind, according to the renowned Shanghai 2022 ranking
The 2022 edition of the renowned Shanghai ranking, (“Shanghai Ranking”)establishing a list of the 500 best universities in the world according to their performance in scientific research, was published on August 15, 2022.
In addition to this overall ranking, rankings by discipline, including psychology, have also been established.
The analysis covered 5,000 universities in 96 countries and regions. For each discipline, the top 500 institutions are listed.
The ranking is based on criteria such as the number of research articles published, the number of times these articles are cited in scientific publications, international collaborations and major awards obtained by researchers.
In psychology, as in previous years, one observation is the weak position of France, of which only 16 universities appear among the 500 best.
For several years, Harvard University (USA) has held the first position. The top 10 is held by American and British universities as well as a Canadian university.
The top 5 positions remained unchanged from 2021. As for the other 5 positions, 4 universities remained there by changing position slightly, except the University of California at Los Angeles which remained in 8th position. The University of Toronto (Canada) slipped into the top 10 for the first time at the expense of the University of Oxford which fell to 11th position.
- Harvard University, USA
- University College London, UK
- Stanford University, USA
- University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Yale University, USA
- Northwestern University, USA
- University of Toronto, UK
- University of California Los Angeles, USA
- Columbia University, USA
- New York University, USA
Sixteen French universities appear in the ranking, compared to 14 in 2021 and 10 in 2020. As in previous years, none appear in the top 100.
These universities are:
- 101-150 – Paris Science & Letters (PSL)
- 151-200 – Aix-Marseille
- 151-200 – University of Paris
- 201-300 – Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University
- 201-300 – School of Advanced Studies in Social Sciences
- 201-300 – Grenoble Alps
- 301-400 – Paris Saclay
- 201-300 – Sorbonne University
- 301-400 – University of Bordeaux
- 301-400 – Montpellier
- 301-400 – University of Poitiers
- 401-500 – Paul Sabatier University (Toulouse 3)
- 401-500 – Paris-East Creteil Val de Marne University
- 401-500 – University of Côte d’Azur
- 401-500 – University of Lille
- 401-500 – University of Tours
In Canada, 27 universities appear in the ranking, including 6 from Quebec:
- 51-75- McGill (English)
- 101-150 – University of Montreal
- 201-300 – Concordia (English)
- 201-300 – Laval
- 201-300 – UQAM (University of Quebec in Montreal)
- 401-500 – University of Quebec at Trois-Rivières
Full ranking on the Shanghai Ranking website (consult in particular the rankings of French-speaking Belgian and Swiss universities).
Two other major international rankings have released their 2022 psychology university rankings:
The results of these three rankings differ very little.
For more information on studying psychology, see the links below.